What is “WHO” friendly? The World Health Organization, along with UNICEF, believe and support full term breastfeeding. They also have codes which help to guide people, professionals such as doctors, and companies toward ensuring families can breastfeed. The Baby Friendly Initiative is a collaboration between UNICEF and WHO that supports non-medical reasons for introduction of formula within hospitals.
Why should we all support WHO code and BFI?
An estimated 1.3 million lives are lost each year due to inadequate exclusive breastfeeding and another 600 thousand from lack of continuation of breastfeeding with proper complementary feeding. (UNICEF)
There are a variety of reasons for the WHO Code on Breastmilk substances. In addition, there are many booby traps which prevent women from reaching their breastfeeding goals.
While the US “Baby-Friendly USA” has a few differences to the International Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative, it is considered the standard maker for helping hospitals implement this initiative. The 10 steps remain the same.
Read more about WHO and UNICEF baby friendly initiatives.
Here are some of Attached Moms posts in regard to WHO friendly initiatives as well as posts which support a family’s ability to choose to breastfeed.
- 1o Reasons to Boycott Nestle. Nestle is one of the major reasons there IS a code for marketing of formula. I won’t get into it here, instead, read the post.
- Who Breastfeeds? A post on ethnicity and breastfeeding, as well as some booby traps.
- Nestle in the USA. List of various Nestle products to avoid in support of being Baby friendly.
- Nestle breaks WHO code. Legally. An issue coming to the Philippines.
- Enfamil just as bad as Nestle? What happens when marketing goes overboard.
- Nestle taken to court in India for improper marketing of breastmilk substitutes.
You can also check my “Questioning Nestle” category here.
Here are some external links that are WHO friendly and support a Nestle Boycott.
- Anthro Doula
- Baby Milk Action
- Boo Nestle
- Boycott Nestle (BMA as well)
- Crunchy Domestic Goddess
- PhD In Parenting
- Red White and Green Mama
- Rudolf Abraham
Want more information on reasons to support ethical marketing of breast milk substitutes? Subscribe to our newsletter below and keep updated on this and other relevant topics.