Major Duties and Responsibilities
Supports the establishment/adaptation/refinement of measures for system strengthening and quality improvement to ensure continuity, effectiveness and sustainability of childhood nutrition, micronutrients and emergency nutrition services.
Undertakes responsibility for developing sector-and-project-specific work plans and activities. In the focus districts, support monitoring and implementation of the main thrusts of nutrition sector programme, such as address micronutrient malnutrition, (Vitamin A supplementation, school anemia programme for adolescent girls, and promotion of iodized salt); community based programs to address childhood malnutrition and ICDS systems quality improvement. In addition, supports and promotes desired family and community behaviors, in coordination with Programme Communication. Review and compile progress reports and input-output statistics and data analysis with specific reference to childhood nutrition and micronutrient nutrition.
Contributes to and enables the concurrent monitoring and reporting on performance indicators of the Integrated Child Development Services (Government flagship programme), accreditation systems and /or UNICEF–NGO managed programmes under the Project Co-operation Agreement.
Facilitates the integration of input/advice from the Child Development and Nutrition Section (Technical Centre for Excellence) in Delhi.
Collaborates with the state government, NGO Sector and new partners to identify interventions and activities necessary for improved planning, implementation and monitoring of childhood nutrition, micronutrient and emergency activities in the state. Provide technical assistance and evidence-based support to implementing partners.
Supports interactions within the state with national and international agencies, missions and commissions, on the management of Child Development and Nutrition programme. Participates in meetings with Departments of Social Welfare, Health and Family Welfare (and others as needed), responsible for programme/project reviews, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements.
Contributes to partnerships for Child Development and Nutrition with government, other agencies, professional bodies, technical institutions and NGO networks in the state.
Contributes and supports the development and/or introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project management and evaluation.
Monitoring and Evaluation
Contributes and supports review of systems and capacity related to delivery of services for Child Development and Nutrition, and the interventions to improve such systems and capacities.
Undertakes field visits to monitor programmes (including cash and supply assistance), as well as conducting periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners.
Supports technical collaboration with other partners such as DFID, Care, World Bank and Micronutrient Initiative in the planning and management of programme/projects. Contributes to the identification and recommendation of necessary action for adjustments in the Child Development and Nutrition programme.
Contributes to the preparation of Situation Analysis, led by SPPME, by compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information, and providing inputs for the Child Development and Nutrition chapter of the Analysis.
Contributes to policy analysis and recommendations for shifts in management, risk allocation and coordination of service delivery related to young child nutrition, micronutrient and emergency. Establishes and maintains regular contacts with government officials, implementing partners at state and district levels through joint visits, consultations and travel.
Capacity Building and technical assistance for Government
Supports government authorities, in partnership with training institutions, to plan and organize capacity building programmes focusing the CD&N; thrust areas of childhood nutrition, micronutrients and emergency nutrition. Identifies training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability of programme/projects.
Assists government authorities, in partnership with training institutions, to plan and organize capacity building programmes in ICDS and Health on Infant and Young Child Nutrition, vitamin A supplementation programme, anemia control and iodized salt consumption initiatives and addressing severe acute malnutrition in children. Identifies training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability of programme/projects. Provides technical expertise as required, facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing.
Supports research and documentation on selected nutrition projects and tracking on social inclusion in Child Development and Nutrition interventions.
Acts as a resource person on Nutrition to colleagues and also coordinate monitoring the programme in the state; advocate for promotion of nutrition and integrated interventions and bring convergence between health, nutrition and hygiene-sanitation strategies, activities, resources and policy. Pooling resources for more effective programming.
Assists in development of appropriate communication and information strategy to support and/or advocate development of IYCF, micronutrient nutrition and emergency nutrition to enable more effective change in key care behaviors related to feeding, hygiene and sanitation and disease management.
Supports strengthening of inter-sectoral collaboration within the state and/or sector with programme colleagues to share knowledge and programming experiences.
Supplies and Cash Assistance
Coordinates with the Operations/Supply staff/programme support on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, as per UNICEF rules and procedures monitors and submits financial status reports to Program Manager/Chief Field Office as required.
Work plan development
Responsible for the development of the Child Development and Nutrition work plan, and facilitates compliance with specific assigned objectives.
Drafts programme/project inputs for donor proposals, status reports required for management Board, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, case studies, etc.
Qualifications And Competencies required to perform the duties of the post:
University degree in any of the following: Nutrition, Public Health, Health or Hospital Management or Administration
b) Work Experience
Two years progressively responsible professional work experience in social development- preferably in child development and nutrition at state or district level, project administration, monitoring and evaluation.
Fluency in English and Hindi. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset, especially fluency in Oriya.
1. Competency profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [II]
• Working with People [I]
• Drive for Results [I]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [I]
• Analyzing [II]
• Applying Technical Expertise [II]
• Planning and Organizing [II]
• Learning and Researching [II]
Technical Knowledge [ ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ ]
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ ]
• Methodology of programme/project management
• UNICEF programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies.
• Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address on national and international issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ ]
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNSECORD training for members of Security Management Team.
Other Skills And Attributes
• In depth understanding and knowledge of the Child Development and Nutrition sector.
• Current knowledge of development issues, strategies, as well as programming policies and procedures in development cooperation.
• A strong familiarity as to how public administration systems affect delivery of results for children
• Understanding of social mobilization and behaviour change communication
• Understanding of the importance and role of partnerships.
• Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
• Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
• Training ability.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
What about a nutrition officer for say a multi-national company?
If you have that same job title as nutrition officer and work for Nestle (direct from a job board), you will do something drastically different.
A complete field job . It is a sales job wherein the candidate has to meet the doctors and inform them about the products of Nestle, conduct Seminars for doctors and arrange sysposiums.
- 1. Ensure recommendation of Nutrition Range by Health Care Professionals through Ethical Detailing, Scientific meetings and conferences in accordance with Head office guidelines.
- 2. To monitor and track the recent developments in the field of Nutrition and serve as a reliable source of information w.r.t the Nutrition knowledge for the Health Care Professionals. which will help them when dealing with their patients
- 3. To build and enhance the relationship with the existing HCPs and maintain an appropriate & effective call rate for contacts as per the Business requirement.
- 4. Ensuring improvisation and quality execution of the Medical Detailing calls through effective use of the Medical Detailing Management System and application of Professional Detailing skills.
- 5. To be a reliable source of market intelligence in his territory and alongside be aware of stock levels., stock freshness,prices of own and competitor products which would help him in understand better the ‘market dynamics’ of his territory.
Candidate Profile: Candidates have to be open to relocate anywhere in the 5 states ie Maharashtra, Gujarat, MP, CG, Goa as they may be posted in any of these states. Location is disclosed only after joining.
Candidates Open to relocate only should apply.
Candidates having experience in Pharma industry or Nutrition Industry only should apply.
Education : B.Pharma – Pharmacy,B.Sc – Bio-Chemistry, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Home science, Microbiology, Zoology
Experience : 0-2 years
Location : Maharashtra, Gujarat, MP, Chandigarh, Goa
Functional Area: sales